Welcome to Mt. Canaan Baptist Church
We Welcome You!
Mt. Canaan is a caring church that serves the community with the Word, Worship and Youth as its focus. The Word is presented with passion, boldness, enthusiasm, and life. Our worship is diverse, energetic, and is expressed freely. Our youth and adults encounter the same experience in their own way, and so can you and your family. We invite you to come worship with us to be a part of this life changing experience.
Our Mission: The mission of Mt. Canaan Baptist Church is to minister to the physical and spiritual needs of the community; to teach and preach the Word of God to those who are lost; to encourage those who are saved and, to develop disciples to represent and serve God in this present age.
Our Vision: Mt. Canaan Baptist Church will improve the lives of individuals and families by investing time, talent, and treasure into the building of God’s community.
On June 30, 1941, seventeen individuals, led by Rev. W. S. Strong, met in a store front building at 23rd Street and Fort Street to organize Mt. Canaan Baptist Church. Pastor Strong served as the first pastor, and the church name was suggested by Sister Eddie Mae Strong. Pastor Strong served as Pastor from 1941 until 1949, but not before purchasing a house located at 2130 Fort Street. This is where the foundation began.
In 1950, the late Rev W. M. Sutton was called to pastor Mt. Canaan. Pastor Sutton served until 1955. Rev. H. M. Sledge accepted the call in 1955 and remained until 1962. In August 1962, Rev. Melvin Jordan was called to pastor the Church. He was only eight months in the ministry, but made a great impact. Of all the Pastors who served, Pastor Melvin Jordan served the longest – 40 years. Pastor Melvin Jordan was very instrumental in building a new church building located at 2307 Ocoee Street. On January 19, 1969, he led the congregation on a long cross-town motorcade from Fort Street to Ocoee Street. Mt. Canaan worshipped there for 11 years.
Tragedy struck on January 24, 1980 – the church building mysteriously burned to the ground, a total loss. Later that year, Mt. Canaan purchased the property located at 2800 North Chamberlain Avenue. In May 1980, Pastor Jordan again led the congregation on a historical march from Ocoee Street to N. Chamberlain Avenue. This event was covered by local radio stations, newspaper and television media. What a wonderful and exciting Church Pre-Anniversary celebration!
On Sunday, July 27, 2002, Pastor Melvin Jordan announced his retirement to the membership to be effective December 31, 2002. The search for a new Pastor began. In a church business meeting, February 3, 2003, the membership voted for Pastor Melvin Jordan to be named Pastor Emeritus of Mt. Canaan. During the 18-month search, faithful members of Mt. Canaan gathered weekly to pray that God would send them a Pastor. They still gather on Thursdays at noon to pray for the church membership and Pastor. In July, 2003, membership voted Rev. Timothy Sykes to the ministerial staff, and he served as Interim Pastor during the pastoral search.
In July 2004, God and the Mt. Canaan Baptist Church, chose Pastor Ternae T. Jordan, Sr., to serve as Pastor. He accepted the call and preached his first sermon as Pastor on July 4, 2004. In an installation service, October 17, 2004, the mantle was passed from father to son. In February 2005, Pastor Melvin Jordan was officially and publicly recognized as Pastor Emeritus Melvin Jordan and Patriarch of the Faith for his long and dedicated service at Mt. Canaan for 40 years.
On April 24, 2011, because of the rapid growth in membership, Mt. Canaan moved its worship service to the Tennessee Temple University campus in the Chauncey-Goode Auditorium. We were able to bring both church services (8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.) together and have more room to accommodate those that we had to turn away for lack of seating space. Bible Seminar (now called the School of the Bible), ministry meetings and choir rehearsals continued to be held at the 2800 N. Chamberlain site.
In 2012, the Melvin Jordan Pastoral/Leadership Institute (MJP/LI) was established and held its first class with 40 students, on August 27, 2012, on the Tennessee Temple University (TTU) campus. In May 2014, twenty-six (26) students graduated with a Certificate in Pastoral Ministries. Our leader, Pastor Ternae T. Jordan, Sr., made history as the first African American to give the commencement address at TTU. Also, in 2012, the Mass Choir was renamed the Melvin Jordan Gospel Choir.
In 2013, Mt. Canaan moved its worship service to the Memorial Auditorium. In July 2014, Mt. Canaan purchased property at 4801 Highway 58, and on Sunday, November 2, 2014, held a Groundbreaking/Renovation Ceremony and walked in to have its first worship service there.
The Mission of Mt. Canaan is to minister to the physical and spiritual needs of the community; teach and preach the word of God to those who are lost; encourage those who are saved; and, develop disciples to represent and serve God in this present age. To accomplish our mission we participate in many outreach services, some of which include Benevolence, Visitations and Food Bank. Some community activities consist of the Susan B. Komen Cancer Walk, Nehemiah Project, Worship Chattanooga, S.T.U.F.F. Giveaway, Youth Walk Against Violence, Stop the Madness, Health Fairs, etc.